Monday, September 4, 2017

Would Not Have Happened

I am sure most of you have seen the video of Nurse Wubbels (http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/04/health/utah-nurse-police-encounter/index.html) being arrested at the University of Utah burn unit.  I wrote previously that at some point all people have had or will have bad encounters with the police. All of mine have happened in Utah but that doesn't surprise or shock me even though I am nearly 70 years old with no traffic violations or any other legal violations.

Utah is seriously ManWorld. The dominant religion favors men. Most religions do because all humans evolve from similar origins, but the LDS have more modern origins, despite what they will tell you if you answer that knock on the door. But because the local culture is completely dominated by the local dominant religion, even going to the hardware store or the grocery store becomes a cultural confrontation if one is female.  When I first moved here, alone, to supervise the remodeling of the kitchen in our house before the family moved, I recognized the stance.

If the burn unit had had a different, male, nurse on duty, the police actions would have been different. I guarantee it.  If you are female, don't move to Utah, or if you do, expect subtle and not so subtle discrimination.

No comments:

Post a Comment