Thursday, September 7, 2017

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes

When I went to the doctor's office I took a bag of tomatoes from our garden. I already knew that the doctor and his nurse like home grown tomatoes but didn't grow their own. When I gave the bag to my doctor's nurse assistant, a woman waiting in a different area asked how I had grown so many that I could give bags of tomatoes away. She didn't even know that I had given a huge bag away yesterday.

All I could say was, "Clover." I finally convinced my husband, after decades of yelling at him to stop using the popular fertilizer and start using dirt friendly methods. We had three years of very poor harvests and my husband kept using commercial fertilizer and I told him that his methods had depleted the soil and we needed to begin fixing that. He is notoriously stubborn--once he forms an idea he has trouble letting go of the idea despite evidence. Well planting clover has increased our yield, made the fruit ripen earlier, you get the picture.

The other good news is that we have more or less finished the Jack and Jill bathroom. The bathroom is fully functional, decorated, even has a painting of me when I was a Masters swimmer on the wall. The young woman who painted the two pictures I have of me is pretty well known now but these paintings were done to complete her BFA. Swimming and bathrooms are sort of a natural combination. The room looks nice even though it is tiny--squeezing in a full two sink bathroom with a tub, shower, two sinks, and a toilet. We had a steel fabricator here in town make a stainless sink counter with random etching that turned out very nicely.

The room combination still needs work since the attached bedroom had to lose some wall. Besides that, the family who lived her before us had done some odd repairs. So there is some drywall work, some mudding, some floor moldings, and then painting before I can move the bed back in and the quilts back on the bed.

I told our youngest son last night that if his boss, the well-known TV star who owns the bar/restaurant where my son works, still wanted quilts for either his house or his daughters, then he needed to move before we do. I am giving the quilts away but I already made the stipulation that the TV star has to donate to the local humane society.

No comments:

Post a Comment