Wednesday, September 13, 2017

School Begins

This is the week when the teachers at the school for which I am a reader start bringing their student essays. A set of essays arrived yesterday and I spoke to two classes over the last two days. Today's class was slightly more engaged but most of these students (juniors) have experienced my presentation and my grading in the past so there weren't any enormous surprises.

I looked at a few of the essays and took one of them in as an example of what not to do when writing these essays. I read the thesis paragraph and asked the class, "What is this student's thesis?" They recognized immediately that he did not have one. I read the second paragraph and one young woman said, "That reads as if he didn't even read the book and is just making stuff up."

Maybe there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment