Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Greed and Stupidity

I have asthma which means I have to use medication daily. My primary care doctor decades ago prescribed Advair, a GlaxoSmithKline product. The chemical formula for Advair aged out of its patent protection several years ago but knowing that this was going to happen and not wishing to lose a cash cow, GSK changed the delivery system a few years back, a delivery system that lost its patent protection last year. Several European nations approved generic versions of Advair, an action that lowered the price in those countries.

So when will a generic version be available in the US? The latest version didn't pass FDA muster for reasons that I couldn't find online, but I can't say that I was disappointed since Mylan was the company applying. Remember that Mylan is the company that makes the generic Epipen that they charged thousands of dollars for once they got the rights. That seems to point to Mylan trying the same tactic with Advair so becoming generic doesn't mean it becomes cheaper. Martin Shkreli is not the only greedy slimeball in the racket.

The entire system is so crooked that everyone gets used to looking behind the curtain for Oz, the Great and Powerful.

3 comments:

  1. I agree Priscilla. My 32 yr old son has had asthma since infancy. The cost wasn't so bad when he was younger, but as an adult, he has pretty much given up on anything but an emergency inhaler. He has a good job but cannot afford his asthma meds. Making medicine is not like making cars, capitalism is awesome but there is something really wrong here that needs fixed. Please take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, even though I am now on Medicare because of my age, the Advair cost is prohibitive. Smoke and mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Anne,I should also have said I hope your son fares well. Rescue inhalers are not a good long term fix. Please take care.

    ReplyDelete