Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Basting Done, Quilting Begins

This morning I did the final read through of one student's college application essays. This young girl is a breath of fresh air. She is very smart, very funny, completely without irony, cynicism,  or pretense. She skipped her sophomore year in high school because she was running out of math and science courses except for the concurrent enrollment ones at the university. That means she is missing some courses in humanities such as world history and more years of foreign language but she is the kind of kid who will study those on her own. The vagaries of college admissions mean that I cannot guarantee her admission to the school of her choice (MIT), but I have a hard time seeing how they can reject her--good GPA, good college testing scores.

I also finished basting the little quilt and sewed waste strips to the edge for protection and to help with the hoop. A long time ago I made a quilt that had all the colors of the rainbow in it so I still have numerous colors of quilting thread. I am thinking of outline and detail quilting on the pictorial elements and various stars in different sizes and shapes to fill in the black background. The actual quilting is my favorite part of the process so I am simply delighted that I have reached that stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment