Sunday, June 4, 2017

Estate Sales

I used to go to estate sales every week with a friend of mine who loved looking for treasures. He had a stroke some years ago and can neither walk nor speak now so I haven't gone for several years. Yesterday my son and his girlfriend took me to one in a large Victorian house near us. Of course neither of them knew that going on Saturday is perhaps the worst day since most of the real treasures are taken on Friday and the goods aren't reduced for quick sale as they tend to be on Sundays. Nevertheless each of us found some stuff to purchase. My son found a copy of the Monkey Wrench Gang and a miniature oak keg, still in its original package, in which he plans to age some of his home made vinegar. His girlfriend found a Native American woven bowl. I found some quilt books, a book on italic calligraphy, and a stack of hand sewn quilt squares of different designs. The woman, whose house it was, sewed beautifully so these squares are nicely done. They aren't in colors I ordinarily favor, tending toward the burgundy, navy, brown spectrum and there aren't too many that are "matches" but I am guessing that I will be able to put something together as a gift for someone. Not that I needed new quilt books or more quilts to work on, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment