Thursday, July 19, 2018

Anniversary

It is not my wedding anniversary but next week will be the 50th anniversary of my husband and I meeting. It is easy to remember because it happened just a few days before his birthday so when his birthday rolls around we know we can celebrate our anniversary as well. He was in NROTC and had just come down to Corpus Christi for his flight training requirement after being in Little Creek, Virginia, for his Marine training. A friend of his hooked us up via letter (remember those) and I arranged to pick him up for a weekend away from the base in an air-conditioned house with a swimming pool. I remember looking at him and thinking, "That poor guy looks like he could use a shower." He told me later that he had just taken one but of course the barracks weren't air-conditioned and it was nearly August in South Texas. I also thought that he had the roundest head I had ever seen, a fact that was painfully obvious because of his Marine haircut.

Naturally no one expected anything to come of this. It wasn't even supposed to be a boy meets girl sort of thing, just hospitality. But here we are fifty years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment