Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Not Ready For Prime Time

When Trump proposed a 20% import fee on imports from Mexico, many warned him that this would hit American consumers. Most products that I purchase for quilting aren't made in the USA, but I had never thought about Mexico as a producer. However, I had to buy some regular old sewing thread, I like Dual Duty Plus for my foundation piecing, and I went to the store and found what I was looking for only to find that my thread is made in Mexico.

The question really is whether we get angry at Trump for what obviously wasn't thought through, or whether we get mad at Coats & Clark, a long time American producer. Several years ago I researched the production of US Army uniforms. All zippers are produced outside the country. Most fabrics and most fibers are produced outside the country. Most buttons are produced outside the country. There is still a contract for merino wool lambs for production of merino wool specifically for US Army uniforms.

The upshot of that is that if we declare war on pretty much anyone, our soldiers will have to hold on to the uniforms they have because we don't even make the zippers to close their flies.

I don't buy pet food from anywhere but the USA but as a quilter I am stuck with the products from China, Japan, Mexico, Bangladesh...you get the idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment