Saturday, August 27, 2016

Stars and Chains in Progress

As I wrote in the last entry, I am working on a new quilt that combines piecing and applique, replicating, though not exactly, a quilt made about twenty years ago. That's funny to me since some of the fabrics I have used and plan to use in the quilt are from about twenty years ago. Anyway, the picture I have doesn't even give dimensions but I suspect the original blocks were a little larger than the ones I have made. I don't do a great deal of old-fashioned piecing. If I make a pieced quilt these days it is usually using foundations to assure perfect points and good matches. So these past few days cutting and sewing have been a reminder of what I liked and what I disliked in matching seams and trying for perfect points. Now that I have a fancy computer Bernina the work is a little easier but it still requires attention to detail.

My husband sort of picked out this project because he was entranced by the colors and the design in the original.  He especially liked the light grey background with the varied yellow squares. The center section is sewn but some of the edge pieces are only laid down next to that. It's laid out on my dining room table which is why the other finished quilt is underneath. There is another grey and yellow border beyond this piecing and then a very elaborate appliqued border, one that I have not drawn out as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment