Monday, August 22, 2016

My Samurai

My husband calls this the lovebird quilt. He picked that image to turn into applique but I am responsible for the rest. I adapted designs from a book called Japanese Design Motifs published by Dover Publications in 1972. The designs are primarily kamon or emblems, suitable for badges to show one's rank or family. I replicated those for the corners, with the family crest being the one on the upper left hand corner.

The borders were just inspired by the kamon, using images that are common or familiar in Japanese pottery or china like the eggplant and the peony. So in many ways this is my own creation. Even though the designs are ancient, as far as I know they don't appear anywhere as I have drawn them. As I wrote previously, the lovebirds were inspired by an embroidery design made to imitate Delft pottery.

The quilting just follows the curves of the design and there are some embroidered touches, most visible in the plum blossom motif in the bottom right. My husband really likes it.

1 comment: