Friday, August 26, 2016

New Quilt, Old Tradition

If you have been reading this blog for any amount of time, you know that I am a traditional quilter. When I write or use that description I think of the classic quilts from the far past and the near past. There are some machine quilted creations that attract me, but far too many seem loverquilted with motifs that obscure the top rather than set it off. I don't like piecing that much anyway, and machine piecing is particularly frustrating. My current machine does a nice job of sewing true seams, running over seams without distortion, but that doesn't mean I like sitting at the machine.

However I have been making a pieced center since I finished my husband's quilt. He saw a photo of a forty year old quilt (or thereabout) made by a woman named Rita Ilene Ptacek. It has a pieced center that is an Irish chain with stars. The quilt has a grey background which my husband finds very pleasing. He also likes the yellow chain portions because the original quilter used bright and light yellows to make the quilt sparkle. The appliqued border is charming, each side differs with sunflowers, bees and birdhouses.

Anyway, I have been making something approximating this quilt. The source I have does not provide patterns, or measurements but I have made enough quilts to be able to approach the mastery of the original even if I don't reach that standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment