Monday, August 3, 2015

Very Bad Day

You know those days that as the hours pass, you wish you had stayed in bed? First, my husband came home from his outdoor excursion weekend to be here for his birthday. He was pretty restless sleeping from all his muscle aches and abrasions so I woke up about 2:30 am. I left him in bed and came downstairs where it smelled as if something had died in my air conditioning/heating vents. I knew I had to call someone but my heating contractor doesn't answer the phone until 8 so I drank my coffee and read the newspaper for a while. Then my husband got up, drank his coffee, and we took the dogs on their morning walk. It was raining outside so we didn't stay out that long and when we got back home we got ready to go to the gym, part of our daily routine. As soon as darling husband stepped outside he landed in a big dog poop and then he stepped backward, cursing the dog by name, and landed in the afterthought dog poop. The gym was more or less the same as always except the roof was leaking worse than usual. This is one of the facilities built for the Winter Olympics and the roof has always leaked.

Well when we got home my husband looked down at the puddle on the floor and then up at the leak in our own roof. Swell. Now I have to call a roofer as well when the sun finally rises. The roof is only ten years old but what can you do? Finally at 8 am I call the plumber/heating contractor. Luckily they have had a cancellation so they will be at our house in an hour. We don't have a regular roofer so we look on HomeAdvisor and get a recommendation. That fellow calls and says he will be here in 90 minutes. The plumber was on time but couldn't find anything in the system to explain the smell and they don't do duct cleaning so he recommended someone. The roofer didn't show and didn't show and we were about to give up on him when the doorbell rang. No explanation for the delay but he was very nice, very friendly, even fixed something that he noticed while he was on the roof that he didn't charge for while also fighting yellowjackets in the rain. So all the flashing is sealed, the loose siding shingles are tacked up, the yellowjackets are dead and I am moving on to cooking roast chicken for the birthday dinner. I am exhausted and I haven't done a lick of sewing today but the day is still young. I always figure things can't get much worse on days like today but sometimes even that feels like I am tempting fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment