Sunday, August 23, 2015

Bright Minds, Bright Futures

Yesterday I had a little get together that grew. Initially two of my previous students asked if they could come by to say farewell before heading back to college. One is a rising junior at Harvard and one a rising sophomore at Harvey Mudd. I agreed quickly and planned to offer them some light refreshment since they were arriving around 11:30. Then my only AP student from last school year got in touch to tell me that she had passed her AP Lit exam and that she had a blast in her summer trip to Europe. I suggested that she come over at the same time as the other two young ladies since they all knew each other even if slightly and talking to students who are already done with the application process and have finished part of college can be revelatory. Since she had to return some books and travel guides to me she readily agreed. Then, out of the blue, a young man called asking for assistance in writing his application essays. I had never met him before but he knew at least two of the young women so I suggested that he come over for an initial meet and greet.

All of these young people are smart and engaged in their activities. No one can predict the future but these four are sensible and practical. They also love my peach pie--my son's tree had an abundant crop this summer.

Everyone starts something new on Monday. For two it is their senior year in high school and the other two are heading out to their colleges. I always wonder what their parents think about them wanting to spend time with me. It is a little odd but a delight in my life. I was tickled when one of the seniors asked one of the older girls how to survive the college application process. "Stick with Priscilla," she said.

I also was contacted by several of the English faculty at the high school last week. They had so much turmoil under the previous principal that I had resigned from my job of "reader" except for one teacher. That principal just disappeared two days before graduation in the spring and the most troublesome teacher left for other opportunities as well so the teachers wanted to know if I would go back to working with the whole floor of literature teachers rather than just one. Although my husband had reservations since he knows how frustrating it can be, I agreed. So I start anew on Monday as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment