Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Quilting the Wide Border

I have gotten  to the wide border on the current project (The Ties That Bind). There are pictures of this quilt in a few different posts (Still Stitching, Layered and Quilting, and Progress on the Project) so no need to post more until it is completed. Sometimes I feel like the last hand quilter in the United States. I was thinking about that while doing the cross hatch quilting on this border. If I were a machine quilter there would probably be stippling or something but this ten inch border looks just fine with a one inch grid set diagonally. I do include stippling in many quilts, including the border of the Dresden Plate quilt, but this time I picked a simple cross hatch for stability behind the very curvy vine.

In case you were wondering about that name--the main blocks are bow ties and one noxious kind of morning glory is called bindweed. Since this quilt will end up on our big old Victorian bed, The Ties That Bind seems fitting after 43 years of marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment