Saturday, August 10, 2013

Off to College

For many years I have been tutoring high school students for free, helping them improve their essay writing skills. Most students who come to me already have their ideal college in mind, no matter if that choice is unattainable. They tend to be good at math and science, not so good at writing. They also tend to have enormous egos. A couple of years ago I mentored a 16 year old who was an immigrant from Viet Nam. Very bright and very studious, she was also very poor.  I asked her where she planned to go to college and she named our local state university, saying it was the only school her mother could afford. Knowing how smart she was and appreciating her dedication to improving herself and her life, I told her that she should apply to Harvard, my husband's alma mater. At her family's income level Harvard would be cheaper than going to our local university. Though she didn't  believe me about the cost, she agreed to apply if I would help her through the process, not in any way that would compromise her integrity but simply as an adviser.

Well, today I am taking that young woman  to lunch. She is leaving next week to become a member of the class of 2017 at Harvard. It won't be the easiest job she has ever shouldered but I still believe that Harvard needs her more than she needs Harvard. I have helped dozens of students over the years, but this one is the most deserving.

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is an amazing and uplifting story, sometimes all it takes to achieve greatness is the faith that someone ELSE has in you, that you can not see for yourself. Applause for you and her both !

    ReplyDelete