Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Other Projects, Other Influences

Although my taste in quilts runs to the traditional, my taste in art is more eclectic. I much prefer modern and contemporary art with Paul Klee as one of my favorites. Above is a small watercolor from 1938 by Klee titled Tanze vor Angst or Dances cause by fear. It occurred to me that this would make a nice quilt.
On the appliqued side of the quilt I more or less duplicated Klee's watercolor but I added various colors to the mix to memorialize the colored triangles worn by Jews, homosexuals, and others during the Third Reich. I used different widths of twill tape to form the geometric limbs of the figures.  

I was planning to give the finished quilt to my husband to use as a lap quilt in his basement office where the temperature, even in summer, is cool, and where in winter it can be almost unbearable. So rather than backing the quilt with the normal muslin or similar fabric, I made a small blanket out of wool rectangles and did some decorative stitching with perle cotton. The quilt has a wool batt as well so it keeps my husband and our cat Barney very warm no matter how cold the basement is.

No comments:

Post a Comment