Sunday, August 4, 2013

Progress on the Project

I apologize in advance for the picture of me. I hate having my picture taken. I also apologize for the state of my apron. I have had it for nearly thirty years and worn it for cooking, painting, gardening, you name it. It's a kappogi, a Japanese mama-san apron and is far more useful than the ordinary cover your skirt affair. Some day I will just have to find or make another one.

Anyway, this is the quilt I have been working on since April or so. I have been quilting it for a week now and have about two thirds of the center section done heading toward the outside border. That's the part I want to point out in this blog. I like to mix pieced sections with applique sections. As in the Dresden Plate quilt, the flowers are very stylized with small Japanese fans acting as morning glories and simple shapes making up the fuchsia. I added some embroidery and small appliqued dots to make the style and stigma section of the fuchsia. While it seems sort of crazy to use a hole punch to make paper circles and then cover them with fabric, I have been doing it so long the dots have become a fixture in my quilts. I use watercolor paper that is acid free so it can be left in the quilt, not removed, without damaging the fabric. It makes the dots become three dimensional and holds up beautifully when the quilt is laundered. Different size circles can be made by covering buttons or coins but those need to be removed each time. The only flowers that are more realistic are the rudbeckia in the center of each side. I am a sucker for bias vines too. Many of my quilting tasks make me wonder if I have OCD.

When I decided on the bowtie blocks for the center, I was a little nervous about sewing all those Y-seams by hand, but they were surprisingly easy. Bowties would make a good travel project to take along since they are very portable and don't need pressing at each separate step. Too bad I didn't think about that before starting this quilt since I don't know what I will take on our trip to France in October. Oh well, I am sure something will come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment