Friday, August 23, 2013

Denna's Quilt

Up until 2005, my husband and I lived in a gigantic house with enormous bedrooms and wonderful details. The best part about living there was my neighbor, Denna, a wonderful woman with nine children and a husband of 50 + years. The five daughters asked me if I would make a quilt for their mother for that anniversary. Below are some pictures of the quilt and one picture of Denna's house. We chose the Baltimore Album style since each block can be personalized to fit the recipient, as was commonly done in the 1840's. The blocks come from a variety of Ellie Sienkiewicz's books except for the house block which is my own design.
Denna is an avid gardener still, well into her 80's, so she had to have a basket of flowers on her quilt. This block might be from a Jeanna Kimball book instead of Ellie Sienkiewicz.

Best wishes are also appropriate for a 50th anniversary quilt.


Above is a photo of Denna's house and the block I made to represent the house with Gracie, the golden retriever, in the yard.

I saw Denna again recently. She still lives in her house though her husband died a few years back. She still gardens every day and she still sleeps under the quilt. Anticipating the real estate downturn we sold that old white elephant (10,000 sf, 11 bedrooms, 5 fireplaces, 100years old--beautiful but a money pit), but still live in the same neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment