Saturday, April 1, 2017

Fun Saturday

The weather has been pretty typical for spring in the Wasatch. We have had record high days, 74 degrees F, and snow, high winds, and sun. Today is supposed to be very nice with sun, light winds, and mild mid-sixties. I do hope to get a little bit of outdoor work done but I also have several indoor tasks. Right now I am finishing up making oxtail marmalade. I decided to spread this out over two days so I started yesterday. We ate oxtail marmalade for the first time on our recent trip to NYC. The restaurant served it with cassava latkes but I am just going to use potato. Mine may not end up being latkes either since I like rosti better.

I also have a student coming in a little while for her weekly session. Next week she will be in Slovakia and Austria for spring break with her father and I have already given her a take home (or take on the plane) assignment. She has made decent progress in her writing skills but she is certainly not ready for the exam yet. This last month of preparation will be crucial.

I am also planning to do more work on the current small quilt. It isn't a baby quilt since this little girl is nearly nine years old. The pattern is from the now defunct Leman Publications (Quilters Newsletter parent) and dates from 1985. It's called Flowering Star and is more involved than I remember. I made it 30 years ago but I don't remember all the set in seams. I am changing the flowers from their "sort of reminds you of tulip" configuration to simple geometric shapes.  I also find it amusing that the instructions are only to quilt around the applique shapes and in the ditch on the star elements. Times have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment