Sunday, December 29, 2013

Planning Ahead

I am sure that I am not the only quilter who has visions of future quilts running through her mind. It doesn't even matter if I like the project I am working on because hand quilting itself is meditative, at least for me. Now that I am quilting Froggy, a project for which I don't have many positive feelings,  thinking about my next project gains more urgency. I do want to like my next project and I do want it to be "pretty", however one might define that idea. Right now I am leaning toward learning how to do trapunto. I have put a little trapunto in a couple of projects in the past but I think a white on white center with an appliqued border with trapunto in the center section might be nice.

Update: I had another idea for the next project--make something with my French material (see posts) and use a pieced center with an appliqued border based on the laurel wreath on the floor around Napoleon's sarcophagus (see posts).

New Year's is this week. My husband and I always hew to tradition on New Year's Day when we make lunch. Since he is Japanese-American we eat o-zoni, a soup with gobo (burdock root) and mochi (rice paste patties). It's supposed to be good luck. Years ago I asked my mother-in-law what it's called if it doesn't have gobo or mochi. Her answer--"Chicken soup."

We also try to do those activities on New Year's that we want to do for the rest of the year, an idea that is easier now that our sons are adults themselves, although the two who live nearby usually come for lunch so they can have good luck soup, too. So I hope everyone has a fabulous New Year's Day--be nice to those you love and do a good deed for a neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment