Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sarah's Quilt Finished

For some unknown reason this looks very crooked. Could be the way I held it up but it looks odd. Since I simply used a length of fabric, the width from selvedge to selvedge (in this photo the top and the bottom) is the same. I am not a perfectionist but I am picky so I apologize for the strange photo.

Anyway, Sarah's quilt is complete. I ended up calling it Catenaries and Anomalies. Early admissions announcement will be next Saturday so after she finds out she will come tell me and pick up the quilt. Given the vagaries of the admissions process there is no guarantee she will be admitted so I wanted to finish it either way before the day or way after. 

My next project is going to be an intricately appliqued piece inspired by the painted wood furniture of Helen Heins Peterson.
This is more or less the central portion of the quilt. It will have a pieced and appliqued border making the finished project approximately 48 x 42 inches. Other than knowing that there will be many bright batiks in the elements I haven't finalized the fabric choices yet. I am also going to add another animal to the bottom left in front of the large fish. It might be a smaller fish, it might be a crayfish, it might be a turtle.

I make my applique with freezer paper so the Sharpy pen bleeding through to the back side of the paper is a good thing. Saves me drawing it out again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment