Monday, April 16, 2018

Genre Books

When I knew I couldn't take books out of our neighborhood library in Salt Lake City anymore, I cast around for reading material available on Kindle and decent reading but not necessarily taxing reading as my brain has reached overload. Several people recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which became book one of what turned out to be a series of books by separate authors of much the same genre. One is even written by Annie Barrows who finished The Guernsey... when her aunt was unable to. These might be described as women's books but that should not deter any male from reading one or all of them.

In no particular order after the first:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (see note above). An epistolary book set in the near aftermath of WWII in both the UK including London, the Isle of Guernsey, and brief letters or notes to and from Scotland and Australia. I knew something of the history of Guernsey including the occupation by the Germans but this is not simply about that part of the history. It is a fun and for me very quick read.

The Truth According To Us, by Annie Barrows. This is similar to the previous book and written entirely by the final author of that book who previously was known for a series of children's books. I enjoyed this book, perhaps more than the other, because the characters' psychology and motivation is darker and not always pleasing.

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend, by Katerina Bivald. This book is by a Swedish author but the entire book happens in Iowa with some small references to Sweden. The book is the author's first and is also a translation from the Swedish. This book is entirely in the 21st century, unlike the others, and because of the author's own roots provides an interesting take on the rural center of the US. I don't always agree with the author's book recommendations but then I don't always agree with anyone's book recommendations.

The book I am reading now is not the same genre but it came highly recommended by someone who does know language arts well. I haven't gotten very far in to the story but it is good so far. So I can tentatively recommend The Last Painting of Sara DeVos, by Dominic Smith. I already have the library card application for the county library system near our house so I will be good to go very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment