Wednesday, March 15, 2017

More Quilts

I had my dentist appointment, which was really a hygienist appointment since I only needed a cleaning not a full dentist visit. I showed my hygienist the quilt in progress--it is nearly finished--and she just loved it. The other young woman, who is very new to the practice, loved it as well and was quite surprised when I asked her for the name of her son, a baby born within days of my hygienist's son. I told her this would be for the label, for posterity.

Then I went out to pay my bill and the receptionist/office manager asked if she could buy a quilt from me. She was a little miffed at first when I said I don't sell my quilts because it would be so impractical, but that I would be happy to make a quilt for her daughter if she could assure me it would go to a good home.

I don't mean to offend although I inevitably end up offending because I have a personal view of life. It isn't practical for me to sell my quilts because no one would pay the amount of money they represent. Even if I multiply minimum wage by the number of hours that I put in to hand sewing and hand quilting, or even machine sewing and hand quilting which the Baby Fish quilt is, there is no way that these young women could or would purchase the quilts. At a bare minimum, there are 180 hours of work in the quilt times $7.15 an hour.  Most of my quilts involve way more hours than that which puts them out of range for most people. Since I am a very experienced quilter I probably should get more than minimum wage and that makes the problem worse. Giving away the quilts is my solution as I don't need the income and I have fun making them. My only other option might be to have a charity auction fund raiser but that still means I give them away. If Donald Trump defunds Planned Parenthood, that may be my next mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment