Wednesday, September 28, 2022

 I just finished the second row of blocks and sashing for the new project. My version is infinitely more my taste than the original that was all of those "country" colors from the late 20th century. I did make a few of those rust, brown, and black quilts back in the day but they were never my favorite choices. The colors I have chosen make this quilt more dramatic and yet still quite sprightly rather than depressing.

 


The block size now is 15 inches with two inch sashing. Most of the fabrics are from my stash but the background is a newer fabric, off white with small bright triangles. It's called Homemade Salsa. Making all the elements 25% smaller made for some intricate applique, including the very small openings, just barely visible, that are supposed to indicate where the angels blowing the trumpets have their arms separated from their bodies. the interior sashing is going to be all this green and white checked fabric and the outer sashing before the final border is the same green and white with a two inch outer sash of the black background floral, not the black background pin dot that makes the trumpeting angels, trees, and parts of the birds. My husband asked me if this is supposed to be a Christmas quilt but  I am not sure even if there are elements that are common to Christmas. The bottom row will have sunflowers, crows, and rabbits, and the outer border will have crows, rabbits, and foxes.   

I have been making so many floral and bird quilts that are closer to real life flowers and birds so doing these with their simple shapes that merely represent a tree or bird has been entertaining. If you go to my post from May 30th of this year, you can see the black floral in an entirely different guise. That quilt which I had originally called My Funny Valentine got renamed as Grey Skies Are Gonna Clear Up when my neighbors' daughter got dumped at the altar. It now hangs in her apartment in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment