Tuesday, September 13, 2022

 This quilt will never be a prize winner for any number of reasons but I expect it will serve its purpose to make a two year old smile. When I was a little kid, one of my favorite toys was a yo-yo clown. These yo-yos were the sort made out of fabric and the fascination for me was the interplay of colors and prints. That was part of my idea in using so many wild prints, mostly from Tula Pink. I had a very old extra thick crib batt that makes it fluffy and puffy. I rarely use the thick batts since I do all hand quilting.

I am calling this "Live Long and Prosper" and I incorporate Mr. Spock's hand gesture that Leonard Nimoy in turn took from an Orthodox Jewish blessing ritual. It represents the Hebrew letter "shin" that carries various connotations including peace as it is the first letter in "Shalom". My husband said that he thought modern remakes of the Star Trek tv show are common enough that the baby's parents, though quite young, will be familiar with. I am not so sure but it doesn't matter to me.



I made the binding wider than usual expecting it to be tugged on repeatedly.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun quilt! I love the bright colored use of fabrics, especially the border piece and the stars. Plus, I like the story and the inspiration that went into making this quilt. It's a winner for sure and this two year old will love it and will grow into it.

    ReplyDelete