Sunday, May 28, 2017

More Stuff From Grandma's Attic

Box after box arrives at my house and most of it now is books--old books. Not super old like treasured folios of Shakespeare but early 20th century copies of some classics and editions of the books that my husband's grandfather wrote. He was relatively famous once but completely obscure now unless you have an interest in early 20th century Japanese political writers. Most of his journals are also in the boxes. Apparently someone once told my brother in law that there was some value in these items but all they are to me is an annoyance.

But some of the boxes have other stuff in them including one very elaborate kimono and several beautiful obi along with some yukata fabric, still rolled up and never used. This material has been in Hawaii for nearly 40 years and it has a strong musty aroma. I have been airing out the silk goods and I am making my son a yukata out of one of the old rolls of cotton. I hope that once it is finished that washing will get rid of the funky aroma. I have no use whatsoever for the obi or the kimono but the fabric is gorgeous. If I could get rid of the smell I could display them somehow.

Since my husband and I are thinking seriously of moving some time soon, having someone else's old stuff is an issue. This is even more true if we follow through on plans to leave the USA. Certainly we want to leave Utah. I have never liked it much here but I have endured it while my husband pursued his career. Now that he is retired and the odd contract work he does is all on a computer, he doesn't need to be in Utah. The state is very Republican, very conservative, and becoming even more so. 26 years is more than long enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment