Sunday, October 2, 2022

 On one of our walks this morning my husband and I noticed some "flyers" lying on most of the driveways on our street. To me, at first, they just looked like litter so I picked one up to dispose of in the trash cans at the park that we normally walk to. Once in my hand, I realized this was more evil and insidious than trash. These were solicitations and exhortations of neo-Nazi groups to "Rise Up White Men".

These are particularly distasteful on this street. My husband and I were the first mixed race couple on the street and remain so, but we also have new neighbors who are black. I don't think that any of the people who live on the street distributed the objectionable material but that doesn't mean that all of my neighbors are delighted to have a mixed race couple and a black couple on their previously (for about 100 years) lily white enclave. 

Everyone has the right to speak, but everyone also has the right to rise up against hate speech. I believe wholeheartedly in open discussion--so bring it on you neo-Nazis. Meet me in an open forum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment