Tuesday, April 26, 2022

 Most of the time my fabric choices depend on having a contrast between the background fabric and whatever applique design I am working on. So far the current project is not dependent on applique although I do prefer to applique the curved seams to sewing them on the machine. But this is pieced fabric and depends on not just color but value.

I was making myself crazy trying to use the block fabric that was a cream or off white color as it was making the blocks busy and uncoordinated. So I tried changing the colors for the offsetting sashing bits that are common to New York Beauty, making them less contrasted to the sewn corner parts and that made me crazy too. After picking everything apart a second time I just went back to the background fabric of the four blocks comprising the center and substituted a plain cotton in a similar color to the Yellow Rose of Texas quilt, once again sort of mustard colored but this fabric is just a tiny bit more orangey than just Gulden's mustard. If I had to flat out describe it, it might even be Trump tan--that terrible pinky orange color. I will post some more pics soon but it is the light or dark value of the fabric that is currently causing issues. I am getting very good at wielding a seam ripper.

No comments:

Post a Comment