Wednesday, April 7, 2021

 Good news about my current, and probably last, student. Yesterday was Ivy Day, the day when at a designated time all Ivy League schools press a button to send out all of the electronic acceptance notices. Back in the day we used to hope for "fat envelopes" to signify acceptance but these days it is all over computer networks.

My student did not get into his first choice, Yale, but he did get into Harvard, Penn, Brown, Johns Hopkins, Washington at St. Louis among others. Hopkins gave him a big pile of scholarship money as well ($150K spread over four years) and Brown actually accepted him jointly to their undergraduate program but also to their joint JD/MD program, a circumstance I have never heard of before. I have no idea which school he will pick but I am pleased as punch that he has choices. I think he is supposed to hear from Stanford today but he already has relaxed for obvious reasons.

As I have written before, I do not cheat for these kids nor do I try to influence their choices. My contributions are 1) a good eye for a good story and a stubborn insistence that students write and rewrite and read and re-read until I am satisfied, and 2) long experience in reading and editing that makes me very good at helping students get their essays down to the right length. Time was if your essay was a little long it wasn't a big deal but nowadays the admissions committees are far more strict about those pesky word limits.

On the quilting front, I have been sewing and picking apart and redesigning and re-thinking so I haven't made that much progress. Learning from mistakes is still learning so that's a kind of progress. My husband and I will get our second Pfizer jab on Saturday so that's progress as well. Add to that the blooming and blossoming of spring and the contract for designing and installing a new perennial border at our house and some of the banality of the past 14 months is beginning to lift.

No comments:

Post a Comment