Monday, September 23, 2019

Cleaning Up Some Loose Ends

I am between projects now so I have been straightening up my sewing room and putting objects away. I have also put together a small quilt top with some of the old blocks from the estate sale. At some point I will post photos of this because I don't even know what the name of the block is. It reminds me of a few different blocks without being any of them so it's sort of like Birds in the Air and sort of like Lady of the Lake without being either of those. I would have continued making this to completion but I don't currently have any leftover batting of the appropriate size or even of a combination of sizes that I could join with the iron-on batting tape. So that top went away because I refuse to purchase batting for a project like this that is so small and so insignificant that spending money on it would be plain silly.

But I have ordered the fabrics and the batting to make the Diamond In A Square quilt for the same family that received the Lovebirds quilt this weekend. In some ways I know this young man better than I know the sister who will get Lovebirds because he came to my house and then we had lunch side by side at a local restaurant when his family came through the area after attending their youngest son's graduation ceremony at Princeton. He is still mystified as to why someone that he doesn't know, isn't a member of his church or faith, only met him once, is willing, even eager, to make him a quilt. I don't much care if he understands as long as his parents remind him of the obligation of care he owes the quilt.

All the necessary goods except the quilt backing will be in place by the end of this week. I do have some appropriately sized pieces of backing so I only have to decide if I use those or order something else. I already have a picture of this quilt in my mind, the colors and the quilting designs, so once the fabric arrives I will be good to go. I haven't made an Amish style quilt in a couple of decades but I do still like the style. Plus now that I have shown myself that a good old-fashioned hard thimble is more efficient than a soft collar thimble, I know the quilting will be the restful activity I originally adored.

Loose ends also seem to be plaguing the White House. Earlier this year, Trump avowed that he would take opposition information about any opponent and claimed that any candidate would even though it was pointed out to him that soliciting and receiving aid from a foreign government or foreign entity would be entirely illegal. He scoffed at that idea. Turns out he may have scoffed because he had already used his powers to try to pressure the newly elected president of Ukraine to launch an investigation of Joe Biden and Hunter Biden.

That is an egregious abuse of power and a violation of multiple statutes and even the US constitution. If you don't understand why, then you probably don't understand much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment