Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Learning From Mistakes

I have been making quilts for a long time. I found that I especially liked making applique quilts over the three decades of work. So the applique itself in this quilt isn't much of a problem but the complexity of the designs can cause some fits and starts. I haven't had to take anything apart yet, but sometimes I have to pause and check the pattern.

The pattern designer recommends cutting out all the pieces for each segment before beginning on the segment. She writes that she keeps each color in a pile on a plastic plate. This doesn't make sense to me nor does it suit a house with three cats. I haven't counted the number of pieces in the first border but there are hundreds if not thousands and some are smaller than my pinky fingernail. A pile on a plastic plate would just beg for play time with my cats.

Anyway, I am making progress. I have come within two roses of finishing the center section of the border. There is a central vase on each side and corner vases on all four corners. The flower stems move gracefully in all directions from those eight stationary spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment