Sunday, January 8, 2017

Close To Block Two

I don't usually buy and follow a pattern and I think, down the line, that I will make more substantial changes to the quilt pattern I purchased. I have made a number of Baltimore Album quilts, but I only have one in my possession. I don't really plan to have this one in my possession, I just want to make it. But I have been having a good time with the first two blocks even though there are elements that I would or have changed. I am close to finishing the second block, "The Glorious Clipper", and I have made some changes, including moving the masts from in front of the sails to behind the sails. I made that change because I want to add some stuffing to the sails, to give them some lift.

The changes I expect to make include shifting the blocks around in the center of the quilt. Sue Garman's arrangement are too asymmetrical for me. There isn't a plan or flow which is close to what the original quilts often showed but modern quilters have more freedom to put quilts together. I have also added more contrast within each block, simply because I have such a variety of fabrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment