Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Antique Blocks With Modern Pretensions--Anonymous Was A Woman, Of Course (With Pictures)


Anyone who has been reading this blog knows I have been working on a project involving some antique blocks I purchased a while ago. After some stops and starts and four months later, the quilt is complete. I know for a fact that the woman who made the original blocks intended for them to be put together without sashing but since I had to finish the points a touch shorter to make them into points again after some modern person cut them apart with a rotary cutter, I couldn't do that. Most of the blocks are still a little crooked or off center but I straightened the worst ones. 

This is the border and corner that I added with a closer look at the antique squares.You can see that the center/reel section of the original block is asymmetrical. That's where the maker had the most trouble and nearly all the blocks have some problems there. I only point that out to emphasize that even if some of your own blocks are not  "perfect", the final product will be all right.
And here is the quilt on our bed. It is about 70 inches square so more of a topper than a full sized quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilt, and the border is gorgeous. You did a great job getting it completed and it is just beautiful on the bed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! I can only wish that my UFO's are Completed in such wonderful and skillful ways! Oregonquilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete