Thursday, September 5, 2013

One Side to Go

I got a lot of quilting done while my husband was gone rock climbing. This was at the cost of making my quilter's calluses bigger but otherwise I wasn't too bothered. I am lucky not to have any arthritis at 63 but I am unfortunate because I have had my left thumb operated on twice. The first time I had my ulnar collateral ligament snapped in two in a swimming accident (yeah, go figure) and the second time was to repair the damage when that repair came apart after eight years. I have a cool radiograph taken just prior to the second operation showing my thumb bent back at a very acute angle and displaced from the knuckle.I should add that this was taken when I was already fully anesthetized otherwise I probably wouldn't think it was so cool. Anyway, when they did that repair they had to harvest a tendon from my wrist so now I have some problems in certain positions with my wrist and my thumb is sort of achy all the time. No complaints here though. When I lost the sensation in my hands due to neck issues I was worried I would never quilt again so small aches and pains are expected, in a perverse way even welcomed. At least my hands still work.

Anyway, I have one side left to quilt. I have been working both counter-clockwise and clockwise on this wide border so I am at the midpoint of the last two sides with one more corner to quilt. Then trim, bind, and play Beethoven's 9th Symphony. There's nothing quite like the Ode to Joy to finish a long project.

No comments:

Post a Comment