Wednesday, November 4, 2020

 My husband and I moved from Utah for several reasons but chief on the list was that our vote would never matter. Since voting for any office is a core activity in the United States, we wanted to either go somewhere we couldn't vote at all and therefore wouldn't feel the anxiety and strain, or go to a state where our vote might have an impact on the election. When the UK turned out not to be a possibility, we chose Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is a basket case as far as politics. It has two big cities, one on either end of the state, and a broad swath of country in between those two cities that doesn't reflect much of the political concern of the two cities. Cities are drivers of elections and drivers of political decisions but they are not necessarily drivers of cultural norms.

Anyway, Trump's election team is now opening legal action against Pennsylvania because there is a very good chance that Trump won't win Pennsylvania. The votes in question are "mail in" ballots. I put that in quotation marks because I am pretty sure that many of those mail in ballots aren't mailed in at all but placed in drop boxes. Since one of the Trump complaints is that the ballots don't have postmarks on them, I can personally attest to why. My husband and I, both elderly citizens, chose to use a drop box. We filmed ourselves doing so. Now Trump claims that because my ballot doesn't have a postmark on it, it cannot be counted.


I voted. I have voted in every single election since I turned 21 (the voting age changed just after my birthday), including county bond elections and local issue elections.  If the state, the county, and the local election board say that drop boxes are kosher, my vote counts.


MY VOTE COUNTS

No comments:

Post a Comment