Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Quilting New Project

I have had the Delectable Pathways quilt pattern for years but never made it because it's kind of an odd size. The social isolation of the virus cannot really be named as the impetus for making this quilt since these days I do most of my quilt shopping online anyway. Rather it is part of the ongoing effort to divest myself of stash items.

My stash is vast and includes yards rather than fat quarters. That's usually because when I finally use up a fabric that I really like I miss it. Online stores don't sell small amounts unless they are precuts (at least in my experience) but I am getting to an age where it makes more sense to use up what I have rather than purchase new. There was an article in the most recent AQ magazine about a famous quilter organizing her stash but she has tiny bits in plastic bins and I have some tiny bits and some bigger bits and some really big bits because I know they make good vines--you get the idea.

I don't know any quilters in Pennsylvania. The closest I have come is an elderly neighbor who said she made a quilt badly once. If you wonder why I, a senior citizen, describe this woman as elderly it is because she is 77. Regardless how hard you fight off the aging, each year takes a bigger toll than the one before it. Of course at this point I am thinking I might be more like my grandmother than I ever thought. She lived to be 102 and when doctors ask me if I had any relatives who had suffered broken hips after menopause I always tell them about this grandmother. Yes, she did break her hip when she was 89. But she did it falling off the roof where she had been nailing in new shingles.

Anyway, I got Delectable Pathways put together all with fabric that I already owned. That means that my quilt is a little scrappier than the original which had all of the mountain peaks in the same fabric on a single mountain and a little variety in the mountains themselves. Mine has more variety in the mountains and my peaks are wildly differentiated while still following the same color or design that I saw in my head. The only fabric I had to buy was the backing and Hancock's had a great purple paisley on sale. I already had a batting so I layered it all today and basted.

It is hot and humid here now and my sewing space is right under the eaves so not ideal but we all adjust to discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment