Thursday, April 9, 2020

Big Brother

If any of you are on LinkedIn you understand how it works. They send you job opportunities to look at, they tell you if any of your links is doing something new or different, they ask you if you know a particular person if that person also has links with your links, and they tell you if you have appeared in any searches. Now I am not on LinkedIn because I am looking for a job nor is that why I joined in the first place. Years and years ago I was asked by one of the young people that I mentored to be a link so that when he began his own job search after college it wouldn't look as though he didn't know anyone. Over the years I have used LinkedIn to find people for whom I had no contact information or to get in touch with someone with whom I have lost contact. As an example, an old girlfriend of my youngest son works for Apple, or at least she did at the time I looked for her. I had gotten a very cool old photographic proof of the first day the Golden Gate Bridge was open that showed pedestrians walking on the bridge in celebration of its completion. So I looked the young woman up on LinkedIn, got the address for her, and sent her the photograph.

Anyway, LinkedIn has different levels of contact depending on how you subscribe and I have always kept mine at the lowest level because I am really not looking for a job. But I do get an email when my profile is searched. Today I received notification that the legislative office of the US House of Representatives looked at my profile twice. It's easy to develop a low degree of paranoia in the current political environment and my bells just started ringing. Could be entirely innocent, could be my blog entries set someone off. If I get visited by any government officials, I will broadcast that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment