Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Outrage Doesn't Suffice

Trump keeps insulting America's military. Whether he is lying to them to their faces or calling them names publicly, he has spent the last couple of months showing us what he thinks about the military. Gone is the praise, gone is the admiration. Now the generals are "dumb", "stupid", "dogs", and for Trump what must be the biggest slur, "Hillary lover".

Then Trump had the audacity to say "I think I would have been a good general, but who knows?" Well the rest of us certainly know because we know that Trump avoided service at least five times including spurious bone spurs. Don't get me wrong. There were many people who avoided service in Viet Nam. The men in my immediate family weren't among them since my husband and my brother both served and went to Viet Nam and I do have a brother-in-law on the wall. But I got one of my husband's brothers out of the draft completely by telling him to go to his Army physical wearing his old retainer.  It wasn't because I thought the war was stupid, though I certainly did, nor because I cared that much about my husband's brother since I barely knew him. What I did care about was the prevailing atmosphere in the country and in the draftees. The last thing the Army needed was my husband's brother, who is still a very drifty guy despite having had a successful career. So the Army certainly did not need Trump and he definitely would not have been a good general. He wouldn't have gotten that far of course. Sometimes it is difficult to tell but the Army does have standards.

Being able to read is one of the earliest standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment