Sunday, January 27, 2019

Congratulations!

I have written many times about the young woman I helped with her entry to Harvard. She had a tough time there for a variety of reasons but ultimately thought it was a valuable experience. Like many young people of diverse backgrounds she took a gap year before applying to medical school. Part of the gap was to take some courses she had not been able to at Harvard and part was to boost her medical work related experience by working at a lab in Utah. Her first choice of school is Utah simply because it is easier on her and on her mother (she is an only child) if she stays in state. I read over her application essays a few months ago, took her out to dinner in Philadelphia when she came for an interview nearby, and have tried to be a mentor and a friend.

Well, drum roll please, she received a phone call a couple of days ago informing her of her acceptance. This was by no means a guarantee so it is a joyful and a sobering moment. Even though I live 3000 miles away now, I have arranged for her to take some friends out to celebrate through the good graces of my son, the chef. These aren't sophisticated diners so burgers, brats, fries, and bread pudding will be just the ticket, plus my son's burgers got named to the top 100 list a little while ago. 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing story! You did mentor her and you should take some credit. You believed in her and she followed your advice.
    I remember you telling me about her several years ago.

    ReplyDelete