Sunday, March 29, 2015

New Project Underway

After some false turns and blind alleys, I have started my newest project. I have many very old quilting books, patterns, even old fabric. While thinking about a more modern project I thought about making a Christmas quilt--not one that screams Christmas but one that will be more subtle. So I switched gears entirely and  I am making a traditional four-block feathered star quilt with an applique border (that seems to be my niche) based on a Christmas card I saw in the Art Institute of Chicago catalog. The artist is Brendan Murphy and the card is called "Snow Dove."  Each star block is 27" square and they will be set point to point so the center section will be 54" square. I haven't drawn out the border yet but somewhere between 8" and 12" for a finished quilt of 70" to 78" square. Some of the fabrics in the star are about twenty years old and two of them are from just last year so it will be a real mix.

The colors aren't quite true here since the inner dark is pine green not dark teal but you get the idea. The background is a batik in a color called "pineapple" so that makes it much brighter as well. This pattern I am using is so old it pre-dates rotary cutting and quick piecing techniques but obviously I am not in a hurry if I am starting on a Christmas quilt in March/April.

No comments:

Post a Comment