Thursday, March 30, 2023

 One of the most striking parts about getting older is how different life is now. It is not just that my husband and I are both septuagenarians, but that ideas that we grew up taking for granted don't seem to be as universal as we both once thought. A case in point arose this week when the battery on my Lexus quit. I recognized that it was the battery as did my husband. Now for us, the solution was relatively simple because we do have jumper cables. All we needed was a willing neighbor with a running car. Well we thought that was all we needed. The first neighbor my husband tried is the other side of the stable duplex, a man only a few years younger than we are. Turns out he didn't even know how to open the hood/bonnet of his car. I mean seriously. Then my husband knocked on the next neighbor's door, a younger (about 45) fellow with two big suv's though only the Range Rover was at home. This guy didn't know where the battery was located--seriously. It is a British car but that only provides hints about the reliability of the electric components.

We do have a new battery now and some more insight into our neighbors. I know the Car Shield commercials say that now the owner needs to be a rocket scientist and own more than a wrench and a screwdriver, but jumping a battery still works the same way it always did. And everyone's battery will eventually die.


No comments:

Post a Comment