Tuesday, March 14, 2023

 I did start a new project. About 15 years ago I bought some pre-cut fabric shapes from Keepsake Quilting. One batch of pre-cuts was sort of 30's style fabrics in blades for a Dresden plate quilt which I made and one batch was just a variety of fabrics in medium sized hearts. I never did anything with the hearts largely because they were mostly very old-fashioned prints in sort of odd colors that I couldn't get enthusiastic about. But I decided after I finished the silly little Catch A Falling Star quilt that I should do something with these goods.

So I have been making a single Irish Chain with alternating heart blocks. Since I only had 18 hearts and three of those were such ugly fabric I couldn't bear to put them on anything, I have augmented with other fabrics and the Irish Chain parts are from the augmented fabrics but all mixed together rather than a "green" block or a "yellow" block. I have also pulled out a stack of white or cream background fabrics for the block bases from my copious stash of pieces that were left over from other quilts over my 40 plus years of quilting. That means that this will be a true scrap quilt although some of my scraps are quite big so strictly speaking they aren't scraps, merely leftovers. I am hand-sewing this and having a very good time doing so. The center section is 40 inches square, not that it is finished yet, which allows for some more creative ideas for some sort of border or multiple borders.

I also got one of those Body-Rite back "appliances". I tweaked my back shoveling snow last year and I have been babying myself for a while but I thought I might try this ergonomic device since I don't have much to lose either way. I really have no idea how this works since it doesn't impede movement and the weights are only a total of three pounds, but even after only two days wearing it while I cut pieces, and press, and sit and sew my lumbar spine feels much better. I suppose it could be a mechanical version of the placebo effect but I am just happy that I am not whimpering in pain.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment