Wednesday, July 14, 2021

 Customer service is supposed to be where consumers go to seek solutions for any number of issues. At least that's what it used to be. Nowadays customer service is where a company goes to seek excuses. Sure, the world has been upended by any number of problems over the last two years. Does that mean that companies aren't responsible for their failings?

So what happens when the company fails in its duty to consumers? What does that even look like? Time was that the customer could complain if a package failed to arrive or arrived later than promised. In my experience currently, that simple standard doesn't even exist.

Although I gave away my two quilts without regrets or expectations, the recipient sent me two gift certificates to Missouri Star Quilt company. I had never shopped from them before but when I finished the new flimsy, I thought I might as well use this gift to get backing and batting. Yes, I do have hundreds of yards of fabric in my stash but I tend not to have backing or batting just sitting around. So I ordered a wall size batt and three yards of backing fabric with my gift certificates. That was back on July 1. The website indicated that even though there were backlog issues, they would still press forward. On July 9, when I had not received any information about my order, I contacted them. Just this morning, 7/14, I got a note that my order was filled.

All I have received so far is excuses and even those aren't explanatory. Sure, it's possible that orders are coming in faster than anticipated but that never means that your duty to satisfy the customer is relieved by the fact that you are busy. I do not have my batting and backing. I have a couple of assurances that the order is complete, but no other information. FedEx says that the package has moved very slowly from Missouri to West Virginia but even that assurance only came after I had contacted them to find out where it was. So as far as I can tell nothing happened at all until I complained and after that it has been silent.

Sure, two weeks isn't that long, but it's a long time for a charge for shipping. If you charge me for shipping, you need to ship. I still have more than 70 dollars in gift certificates for this company but I sure as hell do not want to buy from them when they are so dilatory in processing requests or answering questions.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment