Monday, August 18, 2014

Skin Cancer Surgery

I was an age group swimmer in south Texas, spent most of my time outdoors. My ethnic heritage is Irish and German for the most part, northern European in toto, so I have fair skin. Well now I am paying the price. I have been relatively lucky since I haven't had any melanoma scares but I have had a mix of squamous cell and basal cell cancers removed from my arms and today from my upper chest. Although I am still not freaked out about this, the removal was far more invasive than any of my previous lesions. Today's procedure involved multiple local anesthetic injections, an incision about two inches long, a decent amount of tissue removal, and a bunch of sutures. I go back in two weeks to have the sutures removed. I visit the dermatologist every six months and he didn't say anything back in February but he did seem confident that the procedure was complete. The wages of sin--or in this case the wages of sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment