Saturday, August 16, 2014

Longer Nights, Shorter Days

Because my husband and I walk our dogs early each day regardless of the weather or the season, we are attuned to the changes from the earth's orbit, the sun, and the moon. We don't have the truly long dark nights that we experienced in Ireland but the mornings are dark again. Cooler mornings are nice for walking but darker mornings make it hard for our aging terrier to chase the ball or the Frisbee. The coonhound doesn't play games, but he doesn't like hot weather either so he seems more eager to walk. Of course as a hound he is led by his nose so there is a lot of stop and start walking no matter the weather. His paws are well suited to most terrains except ice.

I started quilting the Anonymous quilt today. No fancy designs but the grid pattern will take a long time. I use a 16" hoop, beginning in the middle of the quilt, and didn't even finish one hoop worth though I spent a few hours at it. That's all right. The antique blocks have been waiting 170 years to be made into a quilt so there has never been a deadline. I don't know what I will do with this once I am done. It is probably too fragile to be layered with the dozens of other quilts on the Princess and the Pea bed.

This photo was in another blog entry but that's what the Princess and the Pea bed looks like although in my house it is the Prince bed since all my pets are male. That's Max along with far too many books and far too many quilts, including those on the right waiting to be put back on the bed.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a good way to store your quilts. For years I have been folding them and stacking them on top of the taller cabinets and things in my house but I'm running out of room. Plus you are avoiding creasing your work. I may need to try this.

    ReplyDelete