Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sarah's Quilt



Mathematics being my student's passion made making a mathematics themed quilt harder not easier. I enjoy the mysteries and patterns that mathematics has but I cannot claim enough expertise to be inventive in making a quilt to satisfy someone who lives, eats, and breathes maths ideas. So I took the easy way out and worked on something that wasn't terribly math oriented but will have a Fibonacci sequence incorporated in the design. Originally I was going to make a science themed quilt, perhaps something like the quilts at http://www.fiberartists-looseends.com/BioArtGallery.html but much bigger since those were 18 inches square. That may still happen in the future since those are so wonderful.

Right now this is just a length of fabric with the compass design half pinned and half sewn to it. You can see all the threads clinging as well. This is a Judy Mathieson design from a while ago. I placed it off center so that I could have quilting lines spinning off from the compass with some  fabric circles appliqued along one of the lines. Those circles will begin at 1/4 inch and move up the Fibonacci sequence to 3.25 inches using each color, though not each fabric, represented in this design. It is not quite a rainbow since it only goes through indigo not violet.  It has been fairly fast and easy so far though I don't think I will have it completed by December 15 which is the day most colleges send out their email notifications of the early admission results.

My next project will be another dark background quilt and then a light background one. I have been getting interesting batiks from multiple sources including local stores as well as online sources such as eQuilter and Hancock fabrics. 

Tomorrow will be baking day for Thanksgiving--apple pie, pumpkin pie, Kentucky butter cake. I will probably have time to finish sewing the compass to the background but not much else. Next week my husband is off traveling on business--long story about how the man who was supposed to be retired ended up with two new jobs--but that will leave me even more time to sew.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

1 comment: