Monday, November 19, 2018

We Give Thanks

This will be the first Thanksgiving in many years that we haven't eaten with our sons. We did move away from them but that freed them to open up their own calendars instead of depending on ours. That was fine with me because even though I liked cooking for Thanksgiving, I had grown to resent the massive cleanup that no one seemed willing to help with. My husband always insisted on doing the dishes but none of the sons or their wives/girlfriends helped.

We will still be roasting a turkey with all the trimmings because we like the leftover meals almost as much as the original. There is turkey cottage pie, club sandwiches, Paragary's noodles, chop suey, turkey soup. My husband always says I am a genius with leftovers but that's probably because my mother wasn't. Her leftovers were just that--warmed up originals without being creative. Sometimes I cook the first meal simply to have the second.

But my sons will scatter to the winds and that is a good thing. Neither my husband nor I ever wanted to return home after we left for college--most of our friends were the same and live in very different places from their parents. For some reason the next generation stayed even though they weren't the generation that still lived in the basement and had mom do the laundry. Our sons moved out of the family home but they didn't leave Salt Lake City. We didn't have the same ties to Utah that they did so we left. This Thanksgiving one son is in Sicily rock climbing and one son is helping out at Hell's Backbone Restaurant in southern Utah to close out their year. Good for all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment