Friday, November 2, 2018

Malted Milk

My husband has always been a huge chocolate malted shake fan (for those not from the US that's a blended ice cream and flavor drink). When I read that malted flavor was the new fad taste in kitchens (good because I loathe kale) I told him and we jokingly talked about how a chocolate malted could be translated into some other dessert. One of the chefs featured in the fad article made lemon meringue type dessert but with vanilla malted milk on top. That didn't appeal to either of us, perhaps because we like regular lemon meringue pie and lemon shortbread cookies and couldn't imagine the addition of the malt.

But we ended up making a chocolate malted French silk pie--seriously rich but very delicious and a malted chocolate icebox cake. My grandmother actually attended the Fanny Farmer cooking school in Boston when my grandfather's company sent him up to manage their plant there. I don't remember her ever cooking anything, not even toast, but my mother always talked about her chocolate icebox cake.

You don't need me to give you recipes for stuff that's out there but just think about how you can boost a dessert if your husband likes malteds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment