Monday, August 27, 2018

Welcome to Pennsylvania, Part Two

My dog was poisoned on Friday. He died Friday night. He is not the first dog to die in this neighborhood this summer so no one believes that these are targeted killings. Rather the suspicion is that someone is putting out poison for other critters who then excrete the poison or die in someone's yard to be eaten by other animals. My husband and I had observed multiple dead animals on the roads on our daily walk, from birds to squirrels and snakes who did not seem to have any qualifying injuries. We had talked to the neighbors but thought that our animals were safe since we didn't have electronic collars on them nor did we have doggy doors and so monitored their outside visits. But somehow this past Friday, in the early dawn Watson ingested poison. Neither of us know how Watson ate poison. But he did, and he died. He was only seven or eight years old. We don't know for sure because he was a rescued dog from the Park City animal rescue.

Everybody loved Watson and Watson loved everybody. He was a gentle soul discarded by his first owner because he wouldn't hunt. His best friend was not our other dog but our Maine coon cat. There is surely a special place in hell for the person who puts out poison in a neighborhood full of animals and children. Rest in peace, Watson.

9 comments:

  1. I am shocked and outraged that anyone would do this to an animal. Watson looks like he was a wonderful boy. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are signs all over the neighborhood now detailing the poisonings but I don't know how the miscreant can be found unless someone has video. At least three dogs are dead and probably more since we are new to the neighborhood and don't know many people. This is incredibly difficult to deal with. Thank you for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the police working with you? I am so so sorry for your loss but there are crazy people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The local police have putout flyers warning people and asking for any information. I don't know beyond that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read of your loss, poor Watson, he looks such a loveable dog. I do hope you get some sort of justice. Take time to grieve, you will miss him terribly, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jenny. Now I am hyper-vigilant about our other dog, another rescue dog. But I don't know how the dog got poisoned so I don't know what to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear this. RIP Watson, you look like a lovely boy. I hope the increasing investigation puts an end to all this even if the perpetrator is never found.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your sympathy, Julie. I do hope the person to blame is caught and punished but it would definitely be good if he/she simply stops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG-that is so scary! I pray there is a serious investigation taking place. This could be a very dangerous person who is doing this to animals which can lead to harming people.

    ReplyDelete