Friday, August 10, 2018

Beyond Appalling

Laura Ingraham let loose in a tirade that declared that the US was turning into a place that she couldn't recognize. I don't have cable news and if I did I doubt that I would turn to Fox except to see what the other side of the political spectrum is seeing and thinking. But her comments were so vile and reprehensible that the next night she declared that she didn't align herself with David Duke or his minions. So how does she support her call to arms when she says that America doesn't look the way her listeners want it to look?

My family's history covers most of the history of the United States. Maternally and paternally I have relatives from the early years of the country and the man I married has a paternal grandparent who founded Mendon, Massachusetts before the dawn of the 17th century. But that doesn't make any of us better than people who came much later, including my maternal grandfather's parents who came to Binghamton, NY, in time for his birth in the last quarter of the 19th century. My husband's Japanese grandfather wasn't allowed to become a citizen and his American wife lost her citizenship when she married him because of the laws current at the time.

All of us in this country, that I really learned to treasure when I was five years old and coming back from Germany where my father had been stationed with the US Army, owe a debt to every single immigrant who endured prejudice like the prejudice that spewed from Ingraham's mouth. How does she explain it to her adopted children, one from Guatemala and two from Russia? 

No comments:

Post a Comment